Sad day… 34 years ago today Elvis Presley died in Memphis at his home, Graceland. Last summer on my road trip with my mom, she took me to Graceland and I got to stand in front of the famous gate! Graceland was so pretty even though it was really hot since it was middle of August when I was there. There were so many names on the wall and lots of folks visiting. I was not scared a bit and loved standing outside the wall watching folks pose for pictures. I heard on the news this morning that 20,000 + folks were at the candlelight vigil last night – that is amazing!
Some Elvis facts:
- 2011 marks the 34th anniversary of his death
- 2011 also marks the 55th anniversary of the release of his first 2 albums.
- His first hit single “Heartbreak Hotel” was released in 1956
- He is the best-selling solo artist in the history of popular music
- Graceland was opened to the public in 1982
- Graceland became a national landmark in 2006
- Graceland is the 2nd most visited house in the United States (White House is #1)
- The first year of his musical career Elvis sold 10 million singles and 800,000 LPs (albums)
- Elvis was actually born in Tupelo Mississippi
- Elvis moved to Memphis when he was 13 years old
- Elvis began his career at Sun Studio home of Sun Records in Memphis (still operating)